Now what do I need to know before I can learn to drive a car?
- I must be 17 years old or 16 if you receive disability living allowance at the high rate
- I must hold a provisional licence for Great Britain or Northern Ireland
- I must be able to read a new-style number plate from 20 metres away (with glasses or contact lenses if you need them, as long as you always wear them when you’re driving)
- I must make sure any vehicle I drive is roadworthy and properly taxed and insured.*
- I must display L plates on the front and rear of the car where they can be easily seen when I’m having driving lessons (L or D plates in Wales).
- I must be accompanied by a driver who has passed their driving test and is over 21 and has held (still holds) a full car driving licence for at least three years – I would however recommend you have most of your driving lessons with an approved driving instructor especially when you first start.